If the library doesn't have a title you want to borrow, you can suggest we get it by completing the form below. We only accept requests from BPL cardholders. We will carefully consider your submission and attempt to fill requests for eligible items. One title suggestion per submission, please.
Suggest a Title Process
Before completing the form:
- Please check the catalogue first to see if we already have the title in our collection.
- Check our partner libraries to see if they have a copy you can borrow directly from them.
- Check our digital resources (Hoopla, Kanopy, etc.) to see if you can access a copy online.
- Make sure the title is eligible based on age, release date, etc.
If your submission is eligible, we will decide the best way to fill your request: by borrowing from another Ontario library or buying for our collection. BPL cardholders may request up to five items within 30 days. Of those five, BPL will acquire a maximum of three by interlibrary loan.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
BPL may borrow an item that qualifies for Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service from another library in Ontario instead of buying it for our collection. You must have a BPL library card number to check out an interlibrary loan item. ILL items have a 21-day loan period and are not renewable.
ILL items must meet the following requirements:
- Print only; no audiovisual (DVD, Blu-ray, CD) or electronic items.
- Must be at least 2 years old and not in our collection, the Kilbride or Hayden school library collections, or at libraries where BPL cardholders have reciprocal borrowing privileges (Hamilton, Oakville, Milton, Halton Hills).
Buying the Title for Our Collection
We may choose to add the title to our collection by purchasing it instead of borrowing it from another library if the budget allows and the title supports our collection development.
If you are a local author or illustrator and would like us to consider your book for our collection, please complete our Local Author Application Form instead of the form below.
We do not purchase every title suggested for various reasons, including budget. For more information, please read our Collection Development Policy.
Eligibility Fine Print
We only accept requests from Burlington Public Library members. Please only suggest titles you personally want to borrow, not general recommendations for the library.
Popular & Bestselling Items
- Do not submit requests for trending and bestselling items. We automatically purchase these items in all available formats.
- Please wait to place a hold until you see the desired item in the online catalogue. We do not place holds for customers on suggested popular and bestselling items we are already acquiring.
- Titles with a release date more than three months from the form submission date will not be considered, nor will we maintain requests for those items.
Movies & DVDs
- Do not submit requests for movies and TV series offered on paid streaming services that are not available on DVD or BluRay,
- DVDs and Blu-ray titles can only be ordered once a release date is available.
- Most blockbusters and popular movies are ordered weeks before their release date, and holds may be placed at that time. We only keep requests for a DVD with a release date on file.
Please email your request to email@example.com for microfilm from the Archives of Ontario.
Personal information is collected in compliance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, 1990, and Canada Anti-Spam Legislation and used to assist with answering queries.