How-to-use and help instructions for the library's online resources.
- Access Science is the online version of the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology with over 8,000 articles, definitions, biographies and current news articles for the world of science.
- Username: bpl
- Password: accessscience
Offered through RB Digital, Acorn TV offers award-winning television from the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Spain. Discover a new favourite or binge-watch a classic TV series.
BPL cardholders get two 7-day Access Passes every month for 14 days of unlimited viewing. You can watch Acorn TV on any device or computer with Internet access, and mirror on your smart TV.
How to access Acorn TV
First time only:
- Install the RB Digital app if viewing on your tablet, device, or smart technology; the app is not required when viewing Acorn TV on your computer.
- REGISTER for an RB Digital account. If you already have an RB Digital account through BPL, just log in.
- From the RB Digital Menu or Carousel, select Entertainment > then select Acorn TV.
- Click/tap on any TV series or movie listing, and then click checkout to get a 7-day Access pass. Please note: At this point, you are not actually checking out an item; this action only launches the Acorn TV set-up screen.
- On the set-up screen, you will be prompted to create an Acorn TV password. Make sure you use the same email address you used when setting up your RB Digital account.
- Click/tap on a TV series or movie listing for a detailed summary, and then click checkout to get a 7-day Access pass.
- Browse selections, view trailers, choose what you want to watch now or save until later in your watchlist—enjoy!
All subsequent times:
- Log in to your RB digital account. Use your email address instead of username and RB digital password for quickest access
- From the RB Digital Menu or Carousel, select Entertainment > then select Acorn TV
- Log in to Acorn TV. You may see a Welcome Back message if your 7-day access pass is active. Select “Access Acorn TV” to sign in to your Acorn TV account.
- OR just bookmark acorn.tv and log in to your active session using your Acorn TV password.
When your 7-day session expires: log in to your RB digital account to check out Acorn TV for another 7 days. You get two 7-day access passes every month for 14 days of unlimited viewing.
- A key resource for anyone doing genealogical or historical research, Ancestry Library Edition includes census information, vital records, immigration and military records, photos, maps, and gazetteers. Coverage with this resource includes Canada, the U.S., and the U.K, dating back in some instances to the early 13th century.
- Ancestry Library Edition is regularly only accessible at library branches. Access to this resource has been temporarily expanded to library cardholders working remotely, courtesy of ProQuest and its partner Ancestry. Now available to use at home until end of July 2020.
Sign up: If you already have an RB Digital account such as the one you use to view magazines you can use the same username and login to access Artist Works for Libraries. If you don't already have an RB Digital account you will need to create an account to using an email address and a password. And of course you will need a valid BPL Library Card!
This database provides the most accurate, authoritative and up-to-date service and repair information for thousands of domestic and imported vehicles. All content comes from the Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) and include step by step repair information, diagrams, maintenance schedules, parts and labour estimates, service bulletins and recalls. Find information on car repairs and maintenance (including service bulletins and recall information), care and repair tips and troubleshooting car problems. Database is powered by the automotive experts at MOTOR. MOTOR information Systems is the world's premier supplier of automotive data since 1903.
Years of cars covered: From 1974 to current year, foreign and domestic.
Downloadable directory information on more than 1.5 million Canadian businesses, primarily in the wholesale, retail and manufacturing sectors. Great for Small Business Entrepreneur market research and sales prospecting.
Canadian Points of View Reference Centre provides information on 100 key topics of interest to Canadian researchers, with an overview (objective, background, description), point (argument), counterpoint (opposing argument), and Critical Thinking Guide. Topics include the environment, human rights, race, substance abuse and many more.
This database includes leading Canadian periodicals and international periodicals in full text, full-text reference books, thousands of full-text biographies, and an image collection containing more than one million photos, maps and flags. The collection includes images from Canadian Press.
Consumer Health Complete is the single most comprehensive resource for consumer-oriented health content. It is designed to support the information needs of patients, and to foster an overall understanding of health-related topics, from mainstream medicine to the many perspectives of complementary, holistic, and integrated medicine.
Sign in: If using in the library there is no sign in. When using from home just sign in with your library card and PIN number.
Containing the latest evidenced-based health information, Multilingual Health Databases provide hundreds of reports for the most common health topics in both English and French. Each language is served by its own dedicated database featuring expertly translated full-text content to ensure accuracy of information. In addition, all aspects of the search experience (e.g., browsing, help, and interface features) are presented in the same language as the content for greater accessibility.
Whether looking to find the best deal on an LCD TV, or researching the top-recommended used vehicles, ConsumerReports.org provides ratings and reviews, recommendations and buying advice for thousands of products and services.
In addition to product ratings and reviews, find in-depth advice, tips and trends written by Consumer Reports experts. Frequently updated articles, blogs and video content allow consumers to peruse the latest consumer news — whether they’re looking to learn more about budget-friendly home improvement plans, understanding the benefits and risks of retirement options, or searching for the latest recalls of baby products. On the site, scroll to the bottom of the screen and Under Consumer Reports Network, select Canada Extra!
Sign in: No sign up required to use the database. If using from home, you will need to enter your 14 digit BPL library card number.
Designed specifically for elementary school libraries, this database contains full text for popular children's magazines, easy-to-read encyclopedic entries and a vast image collection. Students can learn about a variety of topics, such as endangered species, famous musicians, fitness, space exploration and more.
FamilySearch International, a non-profit, volunteer-driven organization sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is the largest genealogical organization in the world. BPL is an affiliate library, which means you can access FamilySearch services and resources FREE online plus gain access to 400 million records with multiple names on each record. Everyone must have their own Family Search account and be logged in AND physically in our library to access them. These are ‘locked’ records that are automatically unlocked when at Burlington Public Library.
Sign in: Family Search accounts can be created by entering your first and last name, birth date, and sex.
Sign in: Just click enter and you will have access to this database.
The Gale Virtual Reference Library contains both encyclopedias and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research. These textbooks might once have only been accessible in the library as a reference tool, but are now readily available online from any computer!
Sign up: Click on the provided link and then enter your Burlington Public library card number where indicated.
Search the Halton Community Services Directory online from your home or office 24/7.
Instantly borrow free digital movies, music and more 24/7 with your library card. Bringing you hundreds of thousands of movies, full music albums, audiobooks and more, hoopla is a revolutionary digital streaming service.
This is a streaming collection, you must be connected to the internet to stream from hoopla. If using a smartphone or tablet/iPad it is possible to download for offline use.
Sign in: All you need is your Burlington library card and a hoopla account. On your device search for "hoopla digital" for the free app from your device's app store. Click on sign up, tap on Burlington Public Library and continue following the steps to sign up. If using hoopla on a computer click sign up in the top right corner, after reading the information continue and pick Burlington Public Library, then enter your library card number, next create an account with hoopla with an email address. After you have signed up your login will work on both your device and your computer.
Loan periods: Movies and television shows are signed out for 3 days, music for 7 days and audiobooks for 21 days. Maximum 7 titles can be borrowed every month.
Over 30,000 films entirely FREE with your library card. Kanopy offers a large collection of high quality films and documentaries from art-house classics to world cinema, all available to play on your PC, phone, tablet, and digital media player. Stream documentary, international, independent, and educational films from producers such as The Great Courses, PBS, the Criterion Channel, and many more. Family-friendly movies and TV series are available on their Kids site.
- Stream up to 7 films per month.
- Loan period is 3 days.
- The title automatically expires after 72 hours.
- Closed caption and transcripts are available.
- General site content is intended for viewers age 18 years and older.
Sign in: You need a valid Burlington Public Library card AND:
- a computer with an internet connection, or,
- the Kanopy app for iOS or Android mobile devices, or,
- a Roku device, Apple TV, Chromecast for your TV. You can also connect your computer to your television via HDMI.
- Recommended: connection to a Wi-Fi network when using this service.
LearningExpress Library Canada is an online learning platform of practice tests and tutorial courses designed to help students of all ages succeed in areas of career preparation, math, science, reading/writing and in taking standard tests and entrance exams. You will find TOEFL tests, TOEIC, SAT and the Canadian Citizenship tests in this database. This resource includes immediate scoring, complete answer explanations, and an individualized analysis of results.
Sign in: All you need is an email and a password.
This comprehensive full-text database provides a broad spectrum of information on thousands of authors and their works across literary disciplines and time frames. It gives students, professors and researchers a foundation of literary reference works to meet their research needs.
Literature Criticism Online contains the cross-searchable full text of all volumes of Contemporary Literary Criticism and Shakespearean Criticism from the first publication to present.
Lynda.com is an online learning platform that offers a large video library of 3,500+ high quality courses, which include more than 144,000 high quality video tutorials. These courses are taught by industry experts in the areas of business, software, technology, and creative skills to help achieve personal and professional goals. Courses are labeled by skill level (beginner, intermediate, advanced, or appropriate for all) and vary in length. Some are quick introductions or tips on a topic, and some courses have multiple videos spanning several hours.
Sign in: All you need is your Burlington library card. Connect here or at lynda.com using our organization name: bpl.on.ca. To log in for the first time, enter your BPL library card number and PIN. You will then be prompted to add your name and email address.
Lynda.com has an app for Apple and Android products. Once the app is downloaded to your device, select the option of "Already a member". Then select Organization login, using the Web portal login enter bpl.on.ca. This is will take you to page that asks you to sign in with your library card and pin, enter these and you're good to go!
Designed specifically for public libraries, this database provides full text for magazines, reference books and primary source documents. It also includes an extensive image collection containing photos, maps and flags.
The NFB's online media tool where you now have online access to films, interactive projects, and easy to use tools that allow you to explore and view NFB content.
NFB Campus is accessible in library branches only.
You can access The New York Times with your library card for a 72-hour period as frequently as you want. You only need to create your NYTimes account once; however, you will need to visit BPL's Resources page every 72 hours to re-activate ongoing access to your New York Times account.
First time only:
- Click on REDEEM link below to redeem a 72-hour code and create an online account.
- Follow the links to login to your account and start enjoying NYTimes.
All subsequent times:
- Click on LOGIN link to login to NYTimes.
- IF you get an error message, your 72-hour access period may have ended. Please go back and click REDEEM again.
- Follow login link from that page to enjoy NYTimes.
NoveList K-8 Plus was developed by librarians and school media specialists, and is easy to use! Just type in an author, title or key words, or browse the database by age group, and you'll access a rich collection of titles, BookTalks, Recommended Reads book lists and more. You'll also find professional resources such as Grab-and-Go Book Lists--vetted lists of high-interest titles on a variety of curriculum-based topics and segmented by grade level. Use BookTalks to generate enthusiasm about reading, or peruse the Curricular Connections to find resources to help lead kids to books.
With information on over 250,000 fiction and readable nonfiction titles, and with feature content including lists of award-winning books, Book Discussion Guides, Book Talks, Recommended Reads and more, NoveList Plus is a complete readers' resource.
Sign up for any one of the 8 available online book clubs and begin receiving daily excerpts from a different book each week. Each day we’ll send you a 5-minute excerpt and by the end of the week, you’ll have read 2-3 chapters! New books are featured each week--starting Monday.
- Borrow up to 10 items for up to 21 days.
- You may have up to 20 books on a holds list.
- Checkout and download your books directly from the library catalogue. Faster and more convenient and these checkouts and holds show up in your library account.
Sign in: Download Centre books are available in ebooks and eaudio formats. You will need a BPL library card to use our collection. As well depending on what device you choose to read or listen to your books apps will need to be installed.
Libby offers Overdrive users a better user experience and all you need is your library card. The app gives you full access to Burlington Public Library's Overdrive collection of eBooks and eAudiobooks that you can download for offline use. Libby is compatible with both android and Apple devices with iOS 9 or higher. Love the Overdrive app or can't download Libby? You can keep using the Overdrive app to access all our our econtent.
PressReader provides instant online access to today's newspapers from around the world in full-colour, full-page format. The ever-expanding collection currently includes nearly 1,000 U.S. and international titles, including most major Canadian publications. Just like reading the familiar print edition, viewers can browse articles and other key content, such as pictures, advertisements, classifieds, and notices. The service also provides up to a 60-day backfile and the ability to perform keyword searches across all titles and the entire backfile.
You can use your library card to access Pressreader. Just enter through the link on this page, click Sign in, select the Library Card option, and choose Burlington Public Library from the drop down menu. Then just enter your library card number and pin and you're set. When you sign in to the Pressreader app or website from home, you will have 30-day complimentary access. When you sign in to the app or website while on the libary's WiFi, you are granted 48 hours access.
Please note: The Globe & Mail has changed its access policy on Pressreader and users will no longer have access to The Globe & Mail Newspapers outside of the library. This means that to access the Globe & Mail through PressReader library customers will need to be onsite at the library.
Sign in: Creating an account is easy, all you need is your BPL library card and pin. This allows you to take advantage of a much richer selection of features.
- Newspapers and magazines available in many other languages.
- Search for full newspapers and magazines by language, country and by date.
- Printing available
- There is an app available for Android and Apple.
RBDigital offers digital audiobooks, including exclusive content from Recorded Books that is unavailable elsewhere, from all major publishers. Now available audiobooks from The Great Courses. Listen to some of the world's most engaging professors and their profound insights on a variety of subjects. Also available is a collection of classic ebooks.
- If you will be listening on a computer: download RBDigital Media manager software available for either Windows or MAC computers.
- If using the ebooks: Adobe Digital editions must be downloaded.
- Mobile apps are available for both Apple and Android products.
- All books are checked out for 21 days, with 1 renewal possible.
- Holds can be placed.
- Many titles are multi-access, meaning that there is no limit to the number of customers who can use the title at one time. Some titles are one user at a time and holds are always possible on these titles.
Sign in: First time users will need to create a username and password, provide an email address and other information. Returning users login with a username and password.
Fully digital with unlimited access available from BPL—all viewable on your computer, tablet or mobile device.
- Over 90 titles to choose from.
- There are no limits and you can keep the magazines for as long as you like.
- Search for specific titles or from the drop down list grouped by genres (subjects).
- Apps are available for viewing magazines by downloading and reading offline. Download the RBDigital App for iPad and Android. Download the RBDigital App for iPhone, Android, Kindle Fire/Fire HD, Windows 8, PC, MAC.
Sign in: As a first time set up will need to create a single account to checkout and read magazines. This just requires an email address, a password, and a valid BPL card.
Check out our ebooks on online gaming, online security, social networking and more.
Research-based and experience-driven, Transparent Language Online is a language-learning program that provides an effective, fun, and engaging experience for language learners of all levels.
- Available in over 80 languages including 15 for ESL learners.
- Learn pronunciation, speech, grammar, writing, and vocabulary with the Essential courses.
- Record, playback, and compare your speech to a real native speake.
- Mobile apps available for both iPhone and Android users. Look for the Byki Community Edition, it's free!
Sign in: First time users will need to create an account with a username, password and an email address. Once you have created your username and password you will use this to sign-in each time to use the database.
TumbleBook Library is an interactive database for children to follow along as their favourite books come to life with graphics and sound in English, French, and Spanish!