In this season of giving, we get lots of questions from people wanting to share with others this holiday season, or looking for help with basic living essentials. New giving opportunities are added up to Christmas, so please check back here for updates.
Food & Gift Hampers
Get information about local organizations and the gift and food hamper programs they offer during the Christmas season and year-round. Some organizations have mid-November to early December deadlines for participating.
Community Christmas Meals
Going to a community dinner is a wonderful way to enjoy a tasty Christmas meal and fellowship with others.
- all are free of charge, and open to all – everyone welcome
- donations from the public to support these dinners are gratefully accepted
Christmas Foodbank Hours
Compassion Society Emergency Food Cupboard: Mon Dec 23, Fri Dec 27, Mon Dec 30, Fri Jan 3
Open Doors Food Bank of St. Christopher’s Church: Sat Dec 21, 10am-2pm; Tue Dec 24, Emergency Food Service; Thu Jan 2, 12.45-2pm
Burlington Food Bank: Mon Dec 23, Tue Dec 24, Thu Jan 2, Fri Jan 3
Salvation Army Foodbank: Mon Dec 23, Tue Dec 24, Thu Jan 2, Fri Jan 3
Where to Find Shelter
Salvation Army Halton Lighthouse Shelter: 905.339.2918
Halton Women’s Place for abused women and their dependent children: 905.332.7892
Barrett Centre 24/7 Mental Health Crisis Line & Shelter: 905.529.7878
Good Shepherd Centre, Hamilton:
- Men’s Shelter: 905.528.9109
- Martha House Women’s Shelter: 905.523.6277
- Family Shelter: 905.528.9442
- Notre Dame House Youth Shelter: 905.308.8090
Mission Services of Hamilton:
- Men’s Residence: 905.528.7635
- Inasmuch House: 905.529.8149
Native Women’s Centre, Hamilton: 1.888.308.6559
- Check with Volunteer Halton for holiday volunteering opportunities
- Salvation Army: Contact Laura Foster-Oros, 905.637.3893 or 905.638.5504
- Food for Life: Contact Emily, 905.635.1106 ext 224
Military Support Campaigns
- Write to the Troops message board allows Canadians to post messages of support to Canadian troops and includes instructions on sending postcards and letters addressed to "any Canadian Forces member."
- Operation Santa Claus - send care packages to Canadian Forces troops deployed overseas while away from family and friends during the holiday season
- For donations and other support for Canadian Forces members and families, visit Support Our Troops program.