Central branch CLOSED | Mon November 30 & Tue December 1
Due to a confirmed positive COVID-19 case over the weekend, Central branch is temporarily CLOSED for a thorough cleaning. Please watch our website and social media for reopening information.
If you visited Central branch on Sat Nov 28 or Sun Nov 29, please self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms for the next 14 days.
We urge everyone to please continue to practice prevention: maintain physical distancing, wear face covering in public, stay home if unwell, practice respiratory etiquette, clean and disinfect regularly, frequently and thoroughly wash and dry your hands, and keep your hands away from your face. Thank you.
Library services while Halton in Red Zone
Starting Mon November 16, the Library will take the following safety measures to proactively respond to Provincial Red Zone directives:
- Maintain branch open hours for limited Browse & Borrow, holds pick-up, and computers by appointment. No Sit & Stay for leisure, work, or study is permitted.
- Limit occupancy at all locations to 10 people maximum in customer service areas, including two people using public computers by appointment.
- Library staff helping customers will wear face shields and masks, and wherever possible, staff will work from home.
We encourage you to keep practicing prevention: maintain physical distancing, wear face covering in public, and stay home if unwell. With your cooperation, our community may be able to move out of the Red Zone at the end of the 28-day enforcement period. Thank you for your continued patience and understanding as we work together to make Burlington safe again.
Open every day
- Monday to Friday: 10am to 7pm
- Saturday: 9am to 5pm
- Sunday: Noon to 5pm
- Closed holidays.
CENTRAL Customers: The branch is not open for collection browsing at this time. This location provides computers by appointment, access to limited popular collections in foyer, and holds pick-up service only.
Computer by Appointment
Browse & Borrow
Sit & Stay
Your library visit
Our goal is for you to feel welcome as we all adjust to a new way of doing business.
- Face mask/covering: A properly worn face mask or covering is required attire inside the library, unless an exemption in the City of Burlington Mask By-Law applies to you. On arrival, we will provide you with a free disposable mask to wear if you don't have your own.
- Short visits: Due to occupancy limitations, please keep your 'browse & borrow' visit to an hour or less as a courtesy to others who are waiting.
- Contact tracing: Please provide your library card or phone number when requested on arrival. This information will be used for contact tracing purposes only if necessary.
Using the library
Returns & overdue fines
- Return library items to any branch 24-hour outdoor drop box. There are no fines for overdue items.
- All returned items are in quarantine for 72-hours before check-in.
- Allow 5-7 weekdays (excluding holidays) to process returned items. It could take longer. Please wait and check your online account first before contacting us after this processing period.
- Due to system constraints, automated notifications continue to send as usual. We apologize for any confusion this may cause.
- Kilbride customers: your temporary holds pick-up location is Tansley Woods.
- Placing a hold does not mean that the item is ready for pick-up. Please wait until you receive an email or phone notification before coming to pick-up an item on hold.
- You have 7 open days to retrieve your holds once you've been notified by email or phone.
Computer & printer access
- Use a computer at our open locations: 45-minute sessions are available by appointment only.
- Book a session online through bpl.on.ca, or call 905.639.3611
- Book up to eight sessions in the current 30-day period. After the first eight bookings in this period, any additional appointments will be cancelled.
- All appointments start precisely on the hour, so please arrive 5-10 minutes before the session. Computers automatically shut down 45-minutes after the scheduled start time.
- To use a library printer, you must first reserve a computer session—no on-demand printer access available. Cash payment is possible through the printer only.
If you have a question or need help using the library, please call us at 905.639.3611 during library open hours, or contact us online. Thank you for your ongoing support as we continue to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Limiting the number of customers inside
- Practicing physical distancing whenever possible
- Extra cleaning everywhere, especially in high-touch and common areas
- Computers, keyboards, and workstations are cleaned after every session
- Providing hand sanitizer stations at all entrances
- Wearing masks
- Wearing face shields when working directly with customers
- Controlling the flow of traffic inside
- Controlled access to public washrooms, computers, photocopier/printers to enable potential contact tracing if needed
- Extending the holds pick-up period to 8 open days to reduce lineups and allow more time to move items between branches
- Quarantining items for 72 hours when returned
- Reducing service points and open hours to optimize cleaning and work processes
- Staff self-assess their health before coming into work.
- Online programs only
- Access to computers and printers by appointment only
- No access to microfilm/microfiche, newspapers, Express or other collections, makerspace, inside return slots
- No loaning out of magazines, Seed Library packets, Cognitive Care Kits
- No Visiting Library Services or Interlibrary Loan service
- No room rental