The Library offers free resources, services, and programs for newcomers to Canada.
Your library card opens the door to a world of information, imagination, and entertainment. You can use your card to borrow, download, or stream a wide variety of items, including books, movies, music, magazines, newspapers, iPad mini, Chromebooks and MacBooks (in-library use only), and so much more. Always bring your library card with you when you come to the library.
Collections & Resources
Books, DVDs & Newspapers in World Languages
- Borrow books in Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Urdu—and by the end of 2022, Ukrainian.
- Borrow DVDs in Arabic, Chinese, French, Hindi, Punjabi, and Spanish.
- Read daily newspapers from around the world using PressReader, an online resource.
- TumbleBook Library for Kids: Children can follow along as their favourite books come to life with graphics and sound in English, Spanish, and French.
- Community and government information: Call or visit the library, or search the Halton Community Services Directory.
- Information Burlington: Provides free, personalized confidential information & referral to the wide range of human and community services including arts and culture; crisis and support services; government services; health care; housing; income support and employment programs; and recreation programs for seniors, adults, youth, and children. Pamphlets from many community and government services are available at Central Library.
- We offer many interesting programs and special events for people of all ages. Programs are offered both in-person and virtually. Some programs have been recorded and are available to watch anytime on our YouTube channel, while others require registration and are held onsite at our library locations or online via ZOOM video conferencing software.
Enjoy the Library with Your Children
- Use your library card to borrow books and book kits to help your children read and do homework.
- Borrow DVDs and music CDs.
- Register your kids for our free virtual programs, including coding, science, book clubs, yoga, and more.
- Watch our virtual storytimes and other videos for kids on our YouTube channel.
- Join a summer reading program every summer, where kids can read books, earn prizes.
- Online resources: We have selected databases just for kids. These are a great help with homework and school projects. These include Tumble Books where you can listen to books with your children. Primarily in English, there is a very small collection in French and Spanish.