The Library offers free resources, services, and programs for newcomers to Canada.
Your library card opens the door to a world of information, imagination, and entertainment. You can use your card to borrow, download, or stream a wide variety of items, including books, movies, music, magazines, newspapers, iPad mini, Chromebooks and MacBooks (in-library use only), and so much more. Always bring your library card with you when you come to the library.
Collections & Resources
Books, DVDs & Newspapers in Other Languages
- Borrow books in Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Polish, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, and Urdu.
- Borrow DVDs in Arabic, Chinese, French, Hindi, Punjabi, and Spanish.
- Read daily newspapers from around the world using PressReader, an online resource.
- TumbleBook Library for Kids: Children can follow along as their favourite books come to life with graphics and sound in English, Spanish, and French.
- Community and government information: Call or visit the library, or search the Halton Community Services Directory.
- Find brochures and pamphlets about government programs and services at all our locations.
Services & Events
- Settlement Worker at the Library: Meet with a Settlement Worker from the Halton Multicultural Council at Central Library and at Tansley Woods Branch to find out about services for newcomers.
- Information Burlington: provides free, personalized confidential information & referral to the wide range of human and community services including arts and culture; crisis and support services; government services; health care; housing; income support and employment programs; and recreation programs for seniors, adults, youth, and children. Pamphlets from many community and government services are available at Central Library.
Attend Library Programs for Recreation and Information
- We offer many interesting programs and special events for people of all ages. Most programs are free and some may charge a small fee.
- Canadian Citizenship Test–Get Ready: A free class to prepare for the Canadian citizenship test, run by the Halton Multicultural Council.
Enjoy the Library with Your Children
- Use your library card to borrow books and book kits to help your children read and do homework.
- Borrow DVDs and music CDs.
- Visit the Discovery Centre at Central Library where young children can play and learn.
- Attend children's programs and special events throughout the year.
- Join a summer reading program every summer, where kids can read books, earn prizes.
- Come to free storytimes for babies, toddlers and preschoolers
- Online resources: We have selected databases just for kids. These are a great help with homework and school projects. These include Tumble Books where you can listen to books with your children. Primarily in English, there is a very small collection in French and Spanish.
- Visit our Kids website for more information.