ReachDeck is accessibility tool that helps people who need online reading support and those who prefer to listen to information instead of reading it. To launch the ReachDeck toolbar on the library website, click/tap on the ReachDeck icon in the bottom right corner of the library’s web pages. The ReachDeck icon is an orange circle with a white figure inside. You can use ReachDeck on computers inside the library too.
- Reads website content out loud, highlighting each word as it is spoken.
- Translates web pages into a wide range of international languages.
- Works with smartphone and tablet technology, as well as PC and Mac computers.
- FREE to use and works with all major browsers.
To launch the ReachDeck toolbar on the library website, click/tap on the ReachDeck icon in the bottom right corner of the library’s web pages or at the bottom right on the screen of your mobile device. ReachDeck functions work on Burlington Public Library web pages, but please be aware that links on library web pages may lead to websites that do not have ReachDeck functionality.
Use the floating tool bar to access ReachDeck features and options. The toolbar is keyboard accessible and the text description of each button can be read aloud. This toolbar provides instant high quality speech at the touch of a button—no need to download anything.
Hover to Speak Mode
- Text is read out loud with dual-colour highlighting the words as they are spoken. Hover highlighting is useful for people with physical disabilities who use alternative pointing devices and allows users to point and read.
- To hear text read aloud from a desktop or laptop computer, move your mouse pointer cover the text. From a touch screen device, simply touch the text to hear it read aloud. ReachDeck may take a few seconds to start reading the text on the screen. ReachDeck will also read pdf documents opened on the screen.
Speak the Current Selection
- As an alternative to Hover Highlighting, you can select specific text to hear it read aloud.
- Translates a web page into a different language.
- Using the ReachDeck toolbar, tap or click on the blue Translate Page button. From the drop down menu, select the language you want to translate the page into.
- All the words that can be translated on that web page, will be. The translation only works on the current page; each time you visit a new page, you will need to translate that page.
- Select any text on a web page and convert it into an MP3 file, and then save it on your thumb drive for later listening.
- Activate the text magnifier button on the toolbar, and the hover on or select any text that you want hear read and see magnified at the same time.
- You can focus on just part of the screen using this feature. Masking applies a colour filter to the whole screen and places a ‘window’ in the area you are reading.
Using ReachDeck on your home computer
- Look for the ReachDeck icon on the websites you visit. Thousands of websites use ReachDeck, so once you have it on your computer, you can listen to all of these websites, too.