Thank you for your ongoing patience, understanding, and support during BPL’s closure and changes in hours, services as we continue to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Starting on Tue July 14, Aldershot and New Appleby branches reopen for holds pick-up service in addition to our existing open locations at Central and Tansley Woods branches.
What this means for you
- Aldershot, Central, New Appleby, and Tansley Woods are open for customers to check-out library items reserved in advance only. No browsing shelves.
- Open hours: Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday, 11am to 7pm & Saturday, 9am to 5pm
- Branches are closed to the public on Friday, Sunday & Monday, and holidays.
- All other branches remain closed until further notice, and programs and room rentals are cancelled.
- See Frequently Asked Questions about reopening under Related Links.
- Aldershot & New Appleby customers: Please continue to pick-up your ready hold items at Central until July 14. All holds that become ready to pick-up as of July 14, may be picked up at your home branch.
- Alton, Brant Hills, Kilbride customers: your temporary holds pick-up location is Tansley Woods.
- Central and Tansley Woods customers: your holds pick-up location remains the same unless you decide to change it yourself to another location.
- The automated email notification may still identify your home branch as your holds pick-up location, even if it remains closed. Please pick-up at your temporary holds pick-up location.
- We are currently processing a large volume of holds, and appreciate your patience.
- Placing a hold does not mean that the item is ready for pick-up. You must first receive an email or phone notification before coming to pick-up an item on hold.
- You have 8 open days to retrieve your holds once you've been notified by email or phone.
- We apologize for any confusion automated notifications may cause. Our library systems are not equipped to handle different pick-up locations effectively.
- Return library items to any branch 24-hour outdoor drop box.
- All returned items are in quarantine for 72-hours before check-in.
- Allow at least 7 weekdays (excluding holidays) to process returned items. Please wait and check your online account first before contacting us.
- Due to system constraints, automated notifications continue to send as usual. Please contact us only after the processing period if returned item remains on your account. Again, we apologize for any confusion this may cause.
Computer & printer access
- Starting July 14, you may book a computer at our open locations: 45-minute sessions are available by appointment only.
- Reserve a session by booking online through bpl.on.ca, or calling 905.639.3611 ext 1202.
- Locations: Aldershot, Central, New Appleby, and Tansley Woods branches
- Customers may book up to eight sessions in the current 30-day period. After the first eight bookings in this period, any additional appointments will be cancelled.
- All appointments start precisely on the hour, so please arrive 5-10 minutes before the session. Computers automatically shut down 45-minutes after the scheduled start time.
- To use a library printer, you must first reserve a computer session—no on-demand printer access available. Cash payment is possible through the printer only.
If you have a question or need help using the library, please call us at 905.639.3611 ext 1202, Monday to Saturday 9am to 5pm, or contact us online.
- No browsing collections
- Outside lineup only – be prepared to wait
- Customers enter branch foyer one at a time to pick-up their hold items, similar to a take-out service
- You will need to bring along your library card number
- Reconfigured check-out area for physical distancing
- Limiting the number of customers inside
- Practicing physical distancing whenever possible
- Extra cleaning everywhere, especially in high-touch and common areas
- Providing hand sanitizer stations at all entrances
- Wearing masks
- Wearing face shields when working directly with customers
- Controlling the flow of traffic inside
- Controlled access to public washrooms, computers, photocopier/printers to enable potential contact tracing if needed
- No access to microfilm/microfiche, newspapers, Express or other collections, makerspace, inside return slots
- No loaning out of magazines, Seed Library packets, children's Theme Kits, Cognitive Care Kits, or devices: eReaders, Launchpads, Fitbits, iPads
- Extending the holds pick-up period to 8 open days to reduce lineups and allow more time to move items between branches
- Quarantining items for 72 hours when returned
- Reducing service points and open hours to optimize cleaning and work processes
- No library programs or room rental