Be a Library Board Trustee
Help shape the future of public library service in our community as a Library Board Trustee.
This fall, the City of Burlington will invite applications for a four-year term on the Library Board, to start in January 2023. We are hosting a series of information nights for anyone interested in applying.
September 29th at Central Branch
What Library Board Members Do
The Library Board makes sure that library services are delivered efficiently and effectively – with an eye to the future. Trustees must be able to work towards a vision and think in broad, future-oriented terms while maintaining a commitment to move vision to reality.
Under the Public Libraries Act, the Board:
- provides a comprehensive and efficient public library service that reflects the community’s needs
- employs and evaluates the ongoing performance of the Chief Executive Officer
- determines and adopts written policies to govern the operation and programs of the library
- establishes and monitors long range goals and objectives for Burlington Public Library
- understands the library’s programs and needs of the community in relation to the library
- works with the CEO to prepare a budget to carry out the library’s goals and objectives and presents this to City Council
- is aware of local and other laws that affect libraries and play a role in initiating and supporting beneficial library legislation
- adheres to the Public Libraries Act, its regulations, and legislation
- members attend all Board meetings, and committee meetings as assigned, along with public meetings and events
- ensures accurate public records concerning finances, property, and annual reports are on file at the library
- may interact with provincial library agencies. Reports regularly to governing officials and the general public.
- promotes and advocates the value of public libraries in the Burlington community.
What you need to know about applying
- The Library does not accept applications for the Library Board.
- The City of Burlington will advertise in local papers for our Library Board vacancies. Applications are submitted to the City.
- The City will post an online application form closer to the deadline this fall after the municipal election.
If you want to know more about the Library Board, we encourage you to attend one of our information nights. If you are unable to attend a session, you can contact BPL CEO, Lita Barrie, to learn more about our board at 905.639.3611 ext 1103 or email@example.com
You might also like...