NEW! As of June 1, Ottawa Public Library is our newest OverDrive partner library! So, library members living in Burlington, Hamilton, Mississauga, London, and Ottawa just got a lot more eBooks to borrow. And, watch for more exciting news by early summer.
Now you can borrow books from the OverDrive digital collections at all five library systems. The libraries started working together in 2020 to link their OverDrive eBook and eAudiobook collections. This expanded partnership couldn't have come at a better time, as more readers are increasingly relying on eBooks and eAudiobooks to meet their growing recreational reading needs during the current public health crisis.
How it works
If you are a BPL member borrowing from a partner library
- With your Burlington Public Library card number in hand, visit Burlington's OverDrive main page (see Related link below). There, you will find a link to each partner library, either in a menu at the top of your screen, "Partner libraries NEW!"—or close to the bottom of your screen.
- Click/tap on the link to reveal a drop down menu containing links to each partner library. Select the link to the partner library you want to visit: Hamilton Public Library (HPL), Mississauga Library (ML), London Public Library (LPL), Ottawa Public Library (OPL).
- On the partner library's OverDrive site, browse the collection as you normally do. When you are ready to borrow from a partner library, click/tap on BORROW. This will take you to their OverDrive Welcome page.
- On the Welcome page, select your home library, Burlington Public Library, in the drop down menu, and then type your 14-digit BPL card number where indicated. The checkout procedure is the same for all partner libraries.
- When you borrow from a partner library, the items will not be listed in your Burlington OverDrive account. You will need to look in your visitor account through HPL, ML, LPL, or OPL. Make sure you sign in as a BPL member.
If you are a member from a partner library borrowing from BPL
When you are ready to borrow a digital book from Burlington Public Library's OverDrive collection, on the BPL Welcome page, select your home library (Hamilton, Mississauga, London, Ottawa) in the drop down menu, and then type in your 14-digit HPL, ML, LPL, or OPL card number and PIN where indicated.
- When you borrow from BPL, you will see these items in your BPL OverDrive account. Make sure you sign in as an HPL, ML, LPL, or OPL member.
- Once in your OverDrive visitor account through HPL, ML, LPL, or OPL, you may borrow 10 books and place holds on five books from each library at any one time.
- The loan period is set by the public library from which you are borrowing.
- OverDrive/Libby app users:
- You can add the partner library systems to your OverDrive account as a quick way to select the collection you wish to view. See Related links for how-to instructions.
- If you are using the OverDrive app: you will see a consolidated listing of all your borrowed and downloaded books from all partner libraries in your app "Bookshelf."
- If you are using the Libby app: you will see all your borrowed and downloaded books from all partner libraries in your app "Shelf > Loans."
Placing & Filling Holds
Even though the OverDrive collections are linked, members of each system will not be competing with non-residents for books in their home library collection. Each library system will give first priority to their own members if there is a queue for a book in their digital collection.