ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION
Job Summary and Relevance:
This position exists to lead the staff and manage the daily operations and services for the library’s content, materials and automated system. As a member of the management team, this position assists in the implementation of the library’s strategic objectives, budget preparations; establishment of best practices and contributes to decision making, problem solving and policy development in conjunction with the Director.
Major Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Lead, hire, train, supervise and coach staff within the department towards team cohesiveness. This includes inspiring and motivating staff to align with the organizational vision, overall strategic plan and emerging trends; setting meaningful and engaging goals on an annual basis in line with the library’s objectives; handling performance management, dealing with staff issues in accordance with policy and legislation; maintaining effective working partnerships with colleagues and community groups, overseeing all matters pertaining to the service of the department. Is responsible for ensuring a safe working environment.
Develop and implement annual work plans, and department goals in line with the library’s strategic objectives and monitor performance measures and evaluations for the department. Manage projects on system or departmental specific initiatives; develop and evaluate operational service activities to incorporate best practices; participate in the development and implementation of new services to meet the library’s changing needs; maintain knowledge of emerging trends and technologies; and participate on and/or lead teams, committee, or special projects as required.
Develop and monitor the annual department budget and provide input for the Materials budget for the operating and capital budgets for the Library system.
Act as Director in absence of; as well as other duties as required.
Be aware of and demonstrate BPL Brand Values within the Library and when representing BPL in the community.
· Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science or equivalent from an ALA accredited faculty of Library and Information Science
· Experience administering library automated system
Abilities, Skills and Knowledge Requirements:
· Leadership skills, particularly the ability to develop and mentor staff and to build and maintain an effective team.
· Diplomatic and collaborative, with strong interpersonal skills and a proven ability to work with cross-functional teams to enable and foster change
· Proactive, with project management skills, with the ability to manage concurrent projects
· Creativity, strategic thinking and problem solving skills
· Ability to make effective decisions, and the demonstrated ability to mediate and resolve conflict effectively
· Budget experience
· Networking and relationship-building skills
· Strong communication skills both verbal and written
· Proven ability to provide prompt, efficient and courteous customer service
Thank you for your interest; however, only those individuals receiving serious consideration will be contacted.