The Library Board makes sure that library services are delivered efficiently and effectively—with an eye to the future. Board Trustees are volunteers from the community who are appointed by City Council after a competitive selection process. Board members serve a four-year term.
Photo (l-r): Shawna Stolte, Catharine Benzie, Jennifer Tarnawski, Bianca Tse, Brian Kenny, Lindsay Zalot, Nawaz Noormohamed. Absent: Jason Manayathu
Catharine Benzie, Chair
Jennifer Tarnawski, Vice Chair
Councillor Shawna Stolte
Bianca Tse (to Jan 31)
Under the Public Libraries Act, the Board:
- provides a comprehensive and efficient public library service that reflects the community’s needs;
- employs and evaluates the ongoing performance of the Chief Executive Officer;
- determines and adopts written policies to govern the operation and programs of the library;
- establishes and monitors long range goals and objectives for Burlington Public Library;
- understands the library’s programs and needs of the community in relation to the library;
- works with the Chief Executive Officer to prepare a budget adequate to carry out the library’s goals and objectives and presents this budget to City Council;
- is aware of local and other laws that affect libraries and play an active role in initiating and supporting beneficial library legislation;
- adheres to the Public Libraries Act, its regulations, and legislation;
- members attend all Board meetings, and committee meetings as assigned. Attends outside meetings, workshops for trustees, and community events;
- makes sure accurate public records concerning finances, property, and annual reports are on file at the library and with appropriate local, provincial, or national bodies;
- may interact with provincial library agencies. Reports regularly to governing officials and the general public.
- promotes and advocates the value of public libraries in the Burlington community.
Thu January 16 | Location: Central, Frank Rose Room
Thu February 20 | Location: Central, Frank Rose Room
Thu March 19 | via conference call
Wed April 16 | via conference call
Thu May 21 | via conference call
Thu June 18 | via conference call
Thu August 13 | via conference call
Thu September 17 | via conference call
Thu October 15 | via conference call
Thu November 19 | Location: TBC
Thu December 17 | Location: TBC
All meetings start at 6.30pm. Members of the public are welcome to attend and watch the proceedings. For log in information to attend a teleconference meeting, please submit a Contact Us form and we'll be in touch. Items in Closed Session may be attended by Library Board members only.
Board Meeting Agendas & Minutes