This section lists resources and websites to help you learn or improve your English.
ESL Language Training Centres in Burlington
- The Centre For Skills Development and Training
- Halton Catholic District School Board Thomas Merton Centre
- Halton Multicultural Council
ESL Language Resources at the library
The library has ESL (English as a second language) kits which contain CDs, booklets and/or DVDs for three learning levels: beginners, intermediate and advanced speakers.
To help improve your English, please ask staff to find you a book that is also available as a Book-on-CD. You will be able to read and listen to the book at the same time.
You can also check out the library's collection of eAudiobooks and eBooks.
Easy Read and Read-Along Books
The library has lots of reading and listening material for ESL customers. Check out our Adult Easy Reads and Read-Along book lists for great fiction and non-fiction titles suitable for those learning the English language.
- Adult Easy Read – Read-alongs
- Adult Easy Read – Classics
- Adult Easy Read – Popular
- Adult Easy Read – Mystery
- Adult Easy Read – Supernatural and Science Fiction
- Adult Easy Read – Suspense
- Adult Easy Read – Romance
- TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing)
- Basic and complete English language courses are available through the library's PowerSpeak Languages
- TOEIC and TOEFL guides and practice tests are also available through the library's LearningExpress database.
Online International Newspapers
- Find your favourite international newspapers by accessing NewspaperDirect.